EU students

As a result of the Czech Republic’s accession to the European Union, students from EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland are entitled to the provision of necessary and urgent healthcare under the same conditions and for the same cost as people insured in the Czech Republic. It is only necessary that they have a European Health Insurance Card.  

Non-EU students

Students from non-EU countries staying in the Czech Republic for less than 3 months should have a supplementary travel health nsurance policy. They should organise this before they leave their country of origin. Students from non-EU countries staying in the Czech Republic for longer than 3 months must arrange insurance through a company that is licensed to operate in the territory of the Czech Republic according to a special legal regulation, i.e.: 

  • national insurance companies and insurance companies from non-EU countries which hold a licence provided by the Czech National Bank; 
  • insurance companies from other EU countries, whose operations in the Czech Republic are based on the right to set up branch offices or on the freedom to provide services temporarily.  

Czech Embassy recommendation

Students are advised to consult the Czech Embassy or Consulate to verify whether their insurance meets the requirements for an application for a visa or residence permit for stays longer than 90 days.